If you want to speak with someone immediately, please call our client-intake specialist, Ken Cooper, at (856) 308-5426.

Call (856) 308-5426

False or Misleading Advertising

What is False or Misleading Advertising?

Any type of false, inaccurate, or deceptive claims made in connection with a product or service purchased by a consumer may be considered false or misleading. Federal and state laws mandate that all advertisements maintain an objective, direct interpretation of the truth, be fair, and reflect no effort to deceive the consumer. Additionally, all advertisers, if necessary, are required to prove the authenticity of the claims made in their advertisements.

What Are Examples of False or Misleading Advertising?

  • Some companies may try the bait and switch tactic, a strategy that has been deemed illegal by the Federal Trade Commission Act. Bait and switch advertising occurs when a company promotes a specific product or deal without ever having the intention of selling said product. A company may hint at an ideal, bargain-bottom price for an item, only to attempt to sell a different item at a higher cost.
  • Deceptive form contracts, which aim to confuse consumers and distract from high prices and bad deals.
  • The use of fine print, a time-tested retail scam that remains highly effective
  • False displays or claims that a store is going out of business or selling factory direct products
  • Neglecting to convey when an offer expires
  • Raising prices for the sole purpose of making it appear that a better deal is available
  • High-pressure sales tactics that could make a consumer uncomfortable and influence a final sale

What Happens to Companies That Use False or Misleading Advertising??

Companies found guilty are often required to stop employing their deceptive practices, are subject to considerable fines, and may be compelled to publicly correct the ad's message.

If a consumer suffers a damage as a result of false or misleading advertising, the consumer may bring an action and force the company to pay monetary damages, and make changes in their conduct.

How Do I Contact an Attorney to Discuss My Case?

Please fill out the Free Case Evaluation form on the top left side of this page and we will respond within 24 hours. If you wish to speak with someone immediately, call our client-intake specialist, Ken Cooper, at (856) 308-5426.

Disclaimer: While the use of this website does not form or imply an attorney/client relationship, we will treat all personal information with the strictest confidentiality and will never disclose it to anyone.

Free Case Evaluation

Are you a victim of false or misleading advertising? Submit your complaint to one of our New Jersey attorneys for a free case evaluation by filling out the form below.

If you want to speak with someone immediately, please call our client-intake specialist, Ken Cooper, at (856) 308-5426.

If you have questions or want to speak with a lawyer about your case, please fill out the form below. Fields with * are required.

Briefly Describe the Case:

Type verification image: verification image, type it in the box